All that being said, these cupcakes are DELICIOUS, especially with a lightly-spread cream cheese frosting. They are from Martha Stewart.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes (Martha Stewart - makes 18)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 - 23 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon milk (whole is better)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
- Beat softened cream cheese, milk and vanilla in large bowl on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until smooth and of spreading consistency.
- Frost cupcakes with a thin layer of frosting (I tried to pipe the frosting on the cupcakes and it seemed to be too much frosting and I couldn't taste the actual cupcake). Refrigerate any remaining frosting. Frosts a 13x9" cake or fills and frosts two 8 or 9" cake layers.