Thursday, June 19, 2014
Summer Shrimp Stir-Fry
This meal comes straight from Pioneer Woman. Anyone else love Pioneer Woman? I love that her Food Network show is on most days around 4pm, right as I'm preparing dinner...and kids jump on the trampoline...and baby sleeps. Perfect. Just like this dish.
Combining fresh summer veggies, with garlic-shrimp, lemon and basil, this stir-fry has become a weekly dinner.
Summer Shrimp Stir-Fry (30-45 minutes) *Slightly adapted
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds large or extra large shrimp, peeled, deveined, no tails (I use frozen shrimp and thaw under cold water in a colander, works great)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large zucchini, diced
1.5 cups frozen corn
1 pint red grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
Salt and pepper to taste
Onion powder and garlic powder for seasoning shrimp
12 - 18 fresh basil leaves, cut in chiffonade
Juice of 1 lemon
Whole grain brown rice
1. Thaw shrimp under cold water in colander. While thawing, dice zucchini and halve the red grape tomatoes. Peel garlic cloves.
2. Dry off shrimp on plate lined with paper towels. Pat shrimp dry. Season shrimp with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. (Make sure shrimp is completely thawed and dry, or you'll end up with a lot of extra liquid in your stir-fry!)
3. Melt 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil in large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in minced garlic and stir around for 20-30 seconds, being careful to not burn the garlic. Add shrimp, then sauté until the shrimp are opaque, about 3 minutes.
4. Remove shrimp to a plate and set aside.
5. Add remaining 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil, and throw in zucchini. Cook for 3-5 minutes, then scoot zucchini to edge of pan. Add corn to middle, allow to cook for 3-5 minutes, and stir into the zucchini.
6. Scoot veggies again to edge of pan, add the halved tomatoes, allow to cook for 5 minutes or so, until they soften a bit.
7. Season all veggies generously with salt and pepper.
8. Throw shrimp back in, stir together, allow to warm shrimp.
9. Serve stir-fry over brown rice, add a bunch of basil, and a healthy squeeze of lemon. Yum!