Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Homemade Energy Bites


Well, a year has come and gone since my last recipe post. It was a big year. A year full of a new baby, a three month rotation in Florida, adjusting to three kids, and more preschool and activities. A year full of JOY. That's what it was.

Now that we are extra busy, I have been trying to cook every night of the week, and have snacks (like this one), ready for when my hungry girls get home from school. The weeknight recipes will be posted at some point...there have been some real winners (think pumpkin lasagna, maple-Dijon chicken, and pork carnitas, to name a few).

But let's keep it simple today -- a simple snack, that lasts a long time.

Thanks to my friend, Sabrina, for introducing these to our family!

Homemade Energy Bites (From moneysavingmom.com)
2 cups quick oats
1 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup honey
2 cups coconut flakes, wheat germ, sesame seeds or rice krispie cereal (or a combination of any of them, I usually do coconut flakes, wheat germ and rice krispies)
1 cup ground (milled) flaxseed
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients together. Roll into balls.
2. To freeze: Place balls on a cookie sheet and freeze for one to two hours. Remove from cookie sheet and place in an airtight ziplock freezer bag/container.
3. Can be eaten frozen or thawed at room temp for 30 minutes, or warmed in microwave for 5-10 seconds.

Makes around 3 dozen.

3 comments:

ESB said...

I forgot to tell you that I made these, and they were a hit! Thanks for sharing! :)

Heidi said...

I still haven't tried these but they are on my to-make list!

Unknown said...

Great blog! i'll be using it as inspiration for mine!http://www.luluhypermarket.com/GoodLife/food-culinary-tips.html